Tuesday, August 16, 2005

SHOWBIZ POLITICS

There is a sexy lady in showbiz that I have admired for a long time. She is just my type: Tiny, a little exotic and, as I said before, sexy. She is immensely talented.

Who is she? Here’s a clue: She is the only person ever to have won an Emmy, a Tony, and an Oscar.

I always looked forward to her performances. Ageing hasn’t hurt her in my eyes. As I grow older, the older ladies look better to me. In short, I held her in great esteem.

Then she just had to tell us her theories on how to make the world a better place. Wow! What an airhead.

Why do they do that? To get high-fives at their cocktail parties? How sad. Is that worth alienating over half of their public? To what end? To influence an election? It seems to lose more votes than it gains.

In my youth I worked with scores of young actors and singers. Those who became the most successful were the ones who were focused on their careers and little else. I was delighted when they’d give me tips on my work in show business. One of my precious memories is of Lee Marvin lecturing me on how to open doors in the movies. What a generous man he was. It did me no good because I went in a different direction. But when my number one son decided he wanted to be an actor, the advice worked to perfection.

About showbiz, the young performers learned a lot and knew a lot. About politics and world affairs they were clueless. But then, when they attained some modicum of success, would they lecture us about something they knew about; about how to succeed in showbiz? No. They lecture us about politics and world affairs.

Where is the logic in that?

Here’s something to think about. Performers work their hearts out to gain approval of their audiences and the esteem of the public. Then, when they achieve some recognition, they risk alienating much of that public by displaying their ignorance of world affairs and politics and religion. Does that make sense?

To me, that sexy lady is now just an aging air-head. If I want to lust after an air-head I can find thousands half her age. But she made her opinions known. Who cared?

I don’t mean to pick on her but, since she had been a personal favorite of mine, her air-headedness hit home.

She is only one of very many who feel the need to speak out. But, isn’t it strange that none will speak out about the murder of a fellow film maker, Theo van Gogh? Why wouldn’t they be outraged that one of their own was killed for making a motion picture? Shouldn’t they, the picture making people, be in the forefront of that outrage?

Come to think of it, they haven’t vocally protested the deliberate killing of children in the Middle East either. I wonder why.

Come to think of it, I don’t recall any of them speaking out about any outrage perpetrated by Muslim assassins anywhere. I wonder why.

Could it be that the Muslim assassins and the Hollywood activists have a common enemy? That enemy would be the administration of George W. Bush.

Perhaps it is the old adage, “The enemy of my enemy is my friend.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home