Saturday, August 27, 2005

I WALKED TWO LITLE GIRLS TO SCHOOL TODAY

I walked two little girls to school today

Yes. Little Orphan Kin is back… to stay. She is as happy as we are. Which is very happy.

But the soap opera continues. The 14-year-old boy who lives with us, Beer, Dow’s ”nephew,” it turns out is really Dow’s son. Dow, The Jungle Princess, it turns out is a widow. (The Widow Dow.)

It did seem odd to me that she would be 37 and unmarried. Especially when she is so marriageable.

So now our household encompasses Beer, 12-year-old Fie, just turned 8-year-old Kin and a maid. A few weeks ago it was just the two of us.

Continuing…

A word about Thai names. Most Thai given names are long and awkward. All Thais have nicknames to simplify things. They go by these nicknames in their everyday life. Most are one syllable. Some are just a vowel. I have met girlfriends of Dow named Oh, Aw, and Ah. Try keeping them straight.

About the school I take the girls to and from. It is the largest primary school I have ever seen. It is four stories high and two football fields long. It has a large cafeteria that seats hundreds. It must draw children from a wide area. Luckily, it’s only a 12 minute walk from our house. We couldn’t have planned it better if we had planned it. The secondary school is much closer. (Yes, I must walk them there and back. There are two busy streets to cross and, once, a cross dog.)

All the student wear uniforms which can vary from day to day. All the girls have their hair cut the same way. I don’t know what it’s called. A bob? It comes down just below their ears. Quite severe.

How did we get Kin back? More soap opera.

Pok, my Thai friend who is my interpreter/internet tech, was amazed when I predicted what would happen step by step of the way. It’s not the first time I’ve done it. He starts to think I have supernatural powers.

But it’s no big deal. I’ve been through it before. It’s one of the bonuses of growing old. If I live another thousand years, I’ll be able to predict even better.

Suffice it to say, Kin is back with us.

The hard part now will be not to spoil her or favor her over Beer and Fie.

That will be difficult.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home