Thursday, June 02, 2005

MY FAVORITE OPERA

No, I'm serious. That's not the name of a funny movie or a sitcom.

This is one for people who don’t like opera. I’ve done that test . You try it.

Try Rossini’s The Italian Girl in Algiers.

Okay, I’m a lowbrow. But I know what I like and this one is great at first contact and wears well.

I could listen to it every day. The finale to act one is the equal to anything in any opera. The overture is familiar to anyone who listens to classical music stations.

In the interest of full disclosure I should say there is no part in the opera I could currently sing. My range has slid down to baritone while retaining tenor quality. A horrible predicament once shared by Mario Lanza and Eddie Fisher except they found uses for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home