Monday, January 29, 2007

PROFILING

I’m an old white guy with a beard. If a bunch of old white guys with beards started killing people I would be pissed off. It would mean that people would start looking at me with fisheye stares. It would mean that I would be subjected to suspicion and searches even though I hadn’t done anything wrong. That would really piss me off.

But I would be pissed off at those old white guys with beards who brought all that heat down on me. I would go to the Old White Guys With Beards meetings and tell those guys to cut out that shit because they’re screwing it up for all of us. I would try to infiltrate their gang or movement and try to find who is doing the stuff and drop a dime on him.

Isn’t that logical? Isn’t that what a normal person would do? Someone makes trouble for you so you go after whoever instigated that trouble?

Well that’s not the way it works today.

There was a rash of blacks killing cab drivers in New York City. What did blacks do? They complained that cab drivers weren’t picking them up. Well, duh. To hell with Political Correctness, that’s about as dumb as you can get. If there was any effort in the black community to stop and apprehend the killers, it wasn’t reported. There was even a dumb law passed that penalized cab drivers for not picking up their potential assassins. Brilliant! That only proves that people are a thousand times smarter than governments. People are better at doing profiling than any government rules.

Since the bombs went off in Bangkok, security has increased on the subway. But before the bombs, I always eyeballed my fellow passengers. Was I looking for a suspicious Buddhist? Or perhaps a shady Confucian? Or maybe a lady in a wheel chair? Who ever heard of a Buddhist terrorist? Of course, I was only looking for Muslim appearing people who might be toting a bomb. Who the hell else but Muslims would be toting a bomb?

So, I would hope, if I were a Muslim instead of an old white guy with a beard, and my fellows were going around killing people and bringing heat down on me and mine, I would have the balls to infiltrate their gang or movement and try to find out who is doing that crap and drop a dime on him.

I damn sure wouldn’t blame the rest of the world for treating me with suspicion.

But that’s just my view from the safety of being an old white guy with a beard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home