Tuesday, January 09, 2007

HARVESTING BODY PARTS

Harvesting body parts. Am I the only one who gets an image of Mexican field hands swarming over a body for the harvest? I probably am.

This subject has been in the news. For a long time I have felt guilty about not carrying one of those cards that allow the “harvesting” of my body parts when the time is deemed to be right by someone important. I should have done it because it is the right and noble thing to do. Anyone can tell you that I am nothing if not right and noble. I’m truly ashamed that I never did it when I had the chance.

Now I find it’s too late. I’m too old. They have an age limit on that harvesting business. I’m using vital organs that no one else would want.

Should I protest or celebrate?

On the one hand it’s age discrimination. On the other hand, those freelance harvesters who go about finding involuntary subjects will have to ignore me. I’m free of them.

Or am I? Those freelance guys might be like used car salesmen. “This kidney is old but it’s hardly been used. The guy almost never pissed.” “Look how hard his heart is. It’ll be good for years.”

Maybe if I could get some slick doctor here in Bangkok to put an expiration date on my body parts. That might discourage them.

How would they know until they yanked the organ out?

These are things I worry about.

The only thing worse than having your body parts harvested is having it done illegally.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home