Tuesday, November 08, 2005

THREE LITTLE MAIDS FROM SCHOOL AND OTHER STORIES

I was walking my two little girls to school this morning. As usual, music was running through my head. Sometimes I sing in my mind. We were half way to school before I realized I was singing “Three Little Maids From School” from the Mikado. (No, I wasn’t dancing, smart ass.)

I had to leer at two street vendors, brush up closer than need be to a lady on a crowded sidewalk, and lust in my heart after a young mother, just to restore my masculine credentials.

---

They have a peculiar way to reward success in our Bangkok school. Our older girl, the 12-year-old Fie, has been singled out as a good student. Her reward? She has been given extra classes. We now go to school a half hour earlier and come home an hour later. That is her reward.

---

One of the ways of getting around Bangkok is by motorbike. Not your own, you pile on the back of a bike driven by a professional driver. They are easily recognizable. They all wear orange vests and congregate at a biker stand when they’re not on the road. They are all over the place. There may be thousands in the city. It’s cheaper than a taxi but more expensive than a bus.

There is a biker stand at the entrance of our soi or lane. 6 or 8 bikers hang out there. One is a woman. That is not common.

There is another girl in our soi who goes to the same school as my kids. This ‘little’ girl is caloric endowed. I don’t know her name but I think of her as “Large Marge.”

The school is perhaps ¾ of a mile away. My kids and I walk it. It’s great exercise for me.

“Large Marge” takes a motorbike both ways.

She will always be “Large Marge.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home