Saturday, December 23, 2006

LOL AND STUFF

Here’s a little piece in today’s The Corner.


RE: REDUCTION AD HITLERUM [Mark Krikorian]
MALDEF's president informs me that his group wasn't at the deportation-equals -Nazism press conference, as the Reuters story I linked to implied. Instead, as the San Antonio paper's coverage made clear,the conference was hosted only by "LULAC President Rosa Rosales and local community-activist organizations."
Posted at 1:48 PM

No I’m not leaving anything out. How many people in the world would have any idea what the hell that was about? Of course you could look up the RE and the links - if your interest is tweaked. That’s a big IF.

And those acronyms. We are being buried in those things. Luckily there is a site on the web called The Acronym Finder. That thing is so useful I will put a link to it on this site.

Just for fun I looked up MALDEF. That is Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund. LULAC? That is League of United Latin American Citizens. You really have to be deep into that stuff to know what’s going on. Who could answer a quiz on that?

The other day there was a piece about Warren Bell getting a nomination to the CPB. Now I know of Warren Bell and we exchange notes occasionally, but I’m getting old and forgetful and those letters (CPB) meant nothing to me. I had to look it up. Here are the Acronym Finder’s first choices:

Colorado Potato Beetle (Leptinotarsa Decemlineata)

Canada Premium Bonds

Corporation for Public Broadcasting

Communist Party of Britain

There were quite a few more choices. The correct answer, I deduced, was C. That’s pretty funny when you have a multiple choice.

I keep seeing LOL on notes and correspondence. I’ve never figured out what that means so I looked it up. Evidently there are a few meanings such as:

Laugh Out Loud

Love of Life

Lots of Love

Lots of Luck

Little Old Lady

There are many more which are probably irrelevant. That’s the order on the list which might be the order of usage.

Evidently when someone writes that on a note it can mean anything they want it to mean.

That’s convenient.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home