Monday, December 11, 2006

WHAT THE FRACK IS THIS?

Scott Adams who authors the Dilbert comic strip also writes a daily blog. He’s been doing this for a couple of years. It is a regular stop for me. I read all the new and some of the old. (I got that phrase from a close friend in the service when he explained to me the advantages of wiping your butt with a corn cob. “It gets all the new and some of the old,” he bragged.) His blog (Scott Adams blog, not the guy from the service) is called simply The Dilbert Blog. I haven’t finished all of the old yet which I’m thankful for. Have you ever read a book so good that you’re sorry when you finished it? I’m going to have put a permanent link to his blog though it will profit me not. It’s for the benefit of my two readers. He gets a couple of hundred comments daily so he doesn’t really need any help from me.

The other day he had a post about the use of the word “frack” as an expletive aboard the Battlestar Galactica. This is part of what he writes:

Galactica is a military ship under continuous threat of annihilation by Cylons. If you were on that ship, you’d be cursing too. For example, you might be tempted to yell “frack!” when you discover that the hot chick who fracked your brains out is actually a frackin’ Cylon who is now pregnant with your frackin’ baby that is half human and half frackin’ toaster.
You can read the entire post *HERE*. It’s pretty funny with some social comment thrown in.

This reminded me of an experience I had back in Portola Junior High School (San Francisco). I had gotten into the habit of using the word “fuss” a lot. I would say for instance, “Don’t fuss around,” or, “Quit fussing around.” I said it to someone in front of a teacher in a Social Science class. She didn’t know whether to shit or go blind.

“What did you say?” She demanded of me.

I was genuinely surprised at her reaction. “I told him to quit fussin’ around,” I replied. I was a disciplinary problem at the school, which gave me a bad reputation but, unbeknownst to them, I was also exceptionally well read and meanings of word were very important to me. The kid was definitely fussing around and I told him to stop it. Why that would be a problem for the teacher eluded me.

She stared at me, trying to decide what to do. She couldn’t send me to the principal’s office for saying “fuss,” could she?

Finally she said, “Don’t ever use that word in my classroom again!”

I looked at my friend. “Fuss?” Then it finally occurred to me, she thought I was using “fuss” as a substitute for “fuck.” But that was completely wrong. My friend was fussing, he wasn’t fucking. I should have gone to the blackboard and drawn pictures for the teacher to explain the difference. How could she be teaching Social Science and not know the difference between fussing and fucking.

No wonder they expelled me a short time later. I was too smart for them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home