Saturday, August 05, 2006

A DRUGGIE NO MORE

I’m not a druggie any more. I wrote June 1st in Drugs and Me that I was taking Xanex. or Zolam or whatever the hell it’s called. It’s hard to make out from the packaging over here. Yes, it’s sold over the counter here in Bangkok. And it’s cheap; less than 20 cents a pill.

It’s a tiny little pill. (Yes, for you perfectionists out there, it is both little and tiny.) The label says 0.5 mg. Even so, it comes with an indent in the middle so it can be easily broken in half. I was only taking a half of a pill an hour or so before bedtime but the effects still were very strong. (There were practically no side effects.) I went to sleep as soon as my head hit the pillow and slept soundly through the night. I awoke in the morning sharp and full of energy.

So what’s the downside? My time on earth is limited. I don’t want to spend nine hours a day sleeping. That’s one. Also, I could feel that stuff in my system all day. That annoyed me. I don’t know if it diminished my mental capacity. That is hard to measure but I suspected it did and I didn’t like it.

I just quit cold turkey. There was no problem in cutting it off. On the internet it says there is a danger of addiction but I didn’t notice a thing, except that it took several days before I sensed that stuff was out of my system. That’s a strange feeling to sense a drug in your system.

On the plus side, the problem that caused me to take that tranquilizer in the first place has disappeared. I now sleep as well at night without the drug as I did with it. So maybe that drug was a cure. Perhaps it should be prescribed for a short time just like many medicines. (No, I don’t smell another Nobel Prize.)

Now my drug of choice is alcohol. That is probably the most dangerous drug on earth, in terms of damage it has caused. It is a joke to make marijuana illegal while alcohol is around. You want to save countless lives? Switch alcoholics to marijuana.

While I’m on this subject, let me comment on the Mel Gibson thing. In my experience, alcohol dissolves inhibitions. That’s why you try to get chicks drunk on dates. People when under the influence, do or say what they would like to do or say when sober but are too inhibited. Is there anyone on earth who doesn’t know that? Yes there is. The people who are defending Mel Gibson don’t know that.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bubblewrap said...

Though strange and melancholic, I found your post intersting about Sanandaj, my home town. Shah the Mother.. did everything to suppress the Kurds like the current inhuman Iranian regime, Moullas !

August 7, 2006 at 8:16 PM  
Blogger Walter Guest said...

Thanks. I only spent a few months in Sanandaj. We were building a base for the Iranian Army just north of town. I left as soon as our temporary airstrip was finished. They sent me south to Shahabad.

August 9, 2006 at 7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home