Wednesday, April 12, 2006

IMMIGRATION

In case you haven’t heard, there are widespread demonstrations in the United States over its immigration policy. Every country has its own immigration laws as they should. Different countries with different cultures have their own needs.

I have written about Thailand’s immigration policy elsewhere (in the archives Sep. 19), but I must comment on the people who man that agency (The Immigration Service). They are as pleasant a group of people as I have met in Thailand, which is a land of pleasant people. They are consistently polite and good-natured.

That is in marked contrast with my one confrontation with the American immigration service. In fairness, I only had dealings with one man, a sullen, unpleasant man.

I brought my 4-year-old son home from Vietnam. It had taken me 3 1/2 years to get him out. Expensive lawyers on both sides of the Pacific had made sure that the paperwork was perfect.

Because I hadn’t been married to his mother, I had gone through adoption proceedings in the US even though my name was on his birth certificate.

But the INS guy dragged his feet. You would have thought I was hitting him up for a personal loan. Luckily my lawyer was with me, saying little but watching carefully and looming over the proceedings. So the thing went through. My kid got his citizenship “derivative,” which pleased my lawyer but didn’t mean anything to me at the time.

I digress.

The demonstrations in the US are being carried out primarily by Mexican-Americans and just plain Mexicans. Before they learned it was counter-productive, they even carried Mexican flags. All this is about US immigration policy. The president of Mexico has even criticized that policy.

Okay, I got an idea concerning all this. This is sure to satisfy the Mexican contingent involved in that stuff. Why not adopt Mexican immigration laws to apply to Mexicans in the US? Just adopt all the immigration laws on the books in Mexico or perhaps just what is in the Mexican constitution. What could be more fair that that?

There is even some precedent because a United States Supreme Court Justice recently cited a foreign law when writing an opinion. So it is a small step to adopt their law.

What is their law? A guy did some research for The Institute of World Politics. Here is some of what he found:

By J. Michael Waller


In brief, the Mexican Constitution states that:
· Immigrants and foreign visitors are banned from public political discourse.
· Immigrants and foreigners are denied certain basic property rights.
· Immigrants are denied equal employment rights.
· Immigrants and naturalized citizens will never be treated as real Mexican citizens.
· Immigrants and naturalized citizens are not to be trusted in public service.
· Immigrants and naturalized citizens may never become members of the clergy.
· Private citizens may make citizens arrests of lawbreakers (i.e., illegal immigrants) and hand them to the authorities.
· Immigrants may be expelled from Mexico for any reason and without due process.


The entire article is *here*.

Let the US adopt their laws. What could be more fair that that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home